Model View Controller and the Observer pattern

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 19:19:29 UTC 2001

 Albertina Lourenci <lourenci at lsi.usp.br> wrote:

> And artists only feel attracted towards friendly things.

Don't you find Squeak friendly and cute?

> Could you please tell me where I can read more about this (MVC + Morphic)?

Maybe a good place to start is John Maloney's paper

http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook/35

(this is the chapter from

Squeak: Open Personal Computing and Multimedia
    edited by Mark Guzdial and Kim Rose
    Prentice-Hall)

On the Squeak list, John recently wrote:

> Morphic is a graphical object system that's completely independent of
> MVC; you can even remove MVC from a Morphic Squeak image entirely.
>
> The biggest difference is that Morphic has an incremental display update
> system that allows many graphical objects to be animating or updating at
> the same time, whereas in MVC only one window (controller) is active at
> any given time.
>
> Morphic and MVC both have their strengths. MVC is better when memory
> or processor cycles are in short supply. It is smaller, simpler, and more
> efficient, but it doesn't do as many cool things. Morphic makes it easy to
> have a lot of things happening at once, and it helps the programmer
> create window contents that goes beyond text and list panes.

Which is a pretty fair (albeit brief!) summary from the horse's mouth.

Cheers

John

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: