Delegation and Self like things for Squeak

Stephen Pair spair at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 02:46:01 UTC 2001

> I mentioned on the Squeak list some designs I have considered over
the
> years for this. I don't think a consumer quality system is possible
> without it. Things are simply not automatic enough.

I'd be interested in hearing those designs...I'm working on a design
myself...I've been reading the Kaehler's LOOM stuff and that's been
very helpful in identifying the things I need to watch out for.  I'm
shooting for something that will make incremental persistence fast,
and will provide a commit primitive that will ensure everything is on
disk.  Looks like the LOOM design would be expensive if you want to
make sure everything was saved (requiring a scan of object memory I
think).

Actually, I'm amazed that this hasn't been a higher priority with
SqC...you really can't consider Squeak as an OS without a solution in
this area.  And, it's been done in so many other contexts...why not
Squeak?  Makes me wonder if there's something I'm missing?

> > ....well, one has to have dreams.  :)
>
> They are best when they are shared.
> -- Jecel

:)