[self-interest] [Fwd:evolutive architecture

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Aug 8 01:08:43 UTC 2001

> But right now I have a short position (4 pages) [...]

I would suggest that in the future it might be better for you to make
the paper available somewhere on the web (you can even use
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/self-interest/files/ for this) and then
just post the address to the list. Your file was rather large and many
people have very slow connections (some have to pay per minute or byte
transfered).

> I would like to receive your comments

You presented a very large number of analogies, but no concrete advice
at all. That might be appropriate if the presentation will be in a
mostly philosophical forum.

> especially because I joined
> last ECOOP'01 in Budapest and talking to many language designers
> there I concluded that the lack of training of  computer scientists
> in art makes it difficult for them to design  or understand really
> interactive and expressive languages like Self. Many  programmers
> there praised SElf/Us
> but do not know to do something similar or program in it.

I think I have already commented on this list that I find it hard to
believe that someone who is good at other programming languages can sit
down in front of Self (specially after reading at least the basic
papers) but can't figure it out. My guess is that few (or none) of the
people you talked to actually tried it.

The term "language designers" also worries me. Do these people actually
use what they invent year after year? Would you trust an architect who
had never lived anywhere other than a cave? Or a screen play writer who
had never gone to a movie nor even seen a TV?

> On the other hand, there is a growing consensus that OO paradigm is
> reaching stagnation. This is considered worse than a crisis.

There is no such thing from where I stand. I am still learning and
having fun. I'll write some more about this at the link you gave in
your paper - http://www.merlintec.com:8080/software