[self-interest] Re: An OO history

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Sat Apr 14 01:37:54 UTC 2001

On Thursday, April 5, 2001, at 10:40 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> There are people on this list who are in a better position to comment
> on what happened. But memory shouldn't have been a problem - I used
> early versions of Self on 8MB machines. Of course, they were running
> SunViews instead of X :-)

Interesting, what's the smallest Self could be squeezed into and still
be useful?
Would a 100K version be possible than ran as fast as other scripting
languages like Python? The Ruby scripting language has become very
popular as a web scripting language despite the fact that it uses a
Smalltalk like syntax. Maybe Self could become a popular scripting
language if it was less monolithic.

Steve