[self-interest] Try this at home

Marko Mikulicic marko at seul.org
Thu Sep 28 12:31:06 UTC 2000

Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Marko wrote:
> > (( | p*=( | a | ) . a='string'|) a: 'new string' ) a
> >
> > Is the read-only 'a' slot screening the parent's slot 'a'?
> > Should this return read-only-exception?
>
> This returns just 'string', as you expected. This behavior looks fine

JSelf returned 'new string'. Probably it's a fault in their
implementation.

> to me. The only problem is if someone does this by accident. If they

The behaviour is logical, but from the implementation point of view.
>From the user point of view if they set a slot to be readonly they expect
it to
actually be readonly (and to signal when this constrain is violated).
But since methods are indeed  read-only slots this allows easy
read-filters to be made
(instead of reimplementing the writing through a resend).
The "catch readonly after" behaviour has a little advantage in the lookup
implementation
(at least in mine :-)

I think both behaviours are acceptable but I wondered what is used by Self
4.

> > Self, the power of simplicity
> > http://www.openself.org
>
> Congratulations on the new site! I am glad to see you are making
> progress.

Thank you.
The site contents is quite old... but I'm planning to release the first
alpha of
openself soon.

> also mention that I am organizing the First Annual SelFest, to be held
> on October 27 at ParqTec (São Carlos).

America is just too far :-)
European Selfers, where are you?

Marko