[self-interest] Try this at home

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Sep 27 22:23:06 UTC 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Marko wrote:
> (( | p*=( | a | ) . a='string'|) a: 'new string' ) a
>
> Is the read-only 'a' slot screening the parent's slot 'a'?
> Should this return read-only-exception?

This returns just 'string', as you expected. This behavior looks fine
to me. The only problem is if someone does this by accident. If they
did it on purpose, then you could add a 'parentA = (p.a)' slot to the
object to allow access to both the local 'a' slot and the parent's 'a'
slot.

> Self, the power of simplicity
> http://www.openself.org

Congratulations on the new site! I am glad to see you are making
progress.

On a related note, I would like to mention that I just came back from
presentation I give on Self at the Federal University of São Carlos. I
will be teaching a 12 hour course there (just about Self) over the next
three weeks. And while I will announce it next week, I might as well
also mention that I am organizing the First Annual SelFest, to be held
on October 27 at ParqTec (São Carlos).