[self-interest] Assignement return value

David Ungar David.Ungar at Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Sep 10 23:44:55 UTC 2000

Just to try to clear things up,
the assignment primitive should return the receiver of the assignment.
So (| method = (|a| a: 3|) method does the following:

The message send of "method" runs the method with the object
(| method = ...|) as receiver.
The assignment returns the receiver and the method returns last
expression, namely the receiver.
So the code should return just the same (| method = ...|) object as
was sent the original method.

Why did we specify Self this way?
The idea is that anything that does not return a particular,
interesting value, just returns the receiver and we wanted to be
consistent.

That way, you would expect the same result value from "a: 3" as from
"foo: bar" or even
"display: something". The idea was to unify assignment with a message
that only took one argument and it would have been weird for random,
one-argument messages to return the argument as their result.

Was it the best choice?

Beats me, but I still like it.

BTW, all this interest is really gratifying.

Anyone coming to OOPSLA?

- Dave

--

     David Ungar