[self-interest] Assignement return value

Tripp Lilley tripp at perspex.com
Sun Sep 10 02:26:34 UTC 2000

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Marko Mikulicic wrote:

> can anybody with a running self system evaluate this expression:

Here is a capture of my session:

$ Self
Self Virtual Machine Version 4.1.10, Sun 16 Jan 00 23:19:07 Solaris 2.x
(svr4)
Copyright 1989-95: The Self Group (type _Credits for credits)

VM# ( | method = ( | a | a: 3 ) | ) method
<0>: ( | method = <a method>. | )
VM# ( | method = ( | a | a: (a: 3) . a ) | ) method
<1>: ( | method = <a method>. | )
VM#

Note that I'm playing dumb monkey here. I typed what you typed, and you're
seeing what I saw :) Interpretation is left as an exercise for the
(presumably less ignorant than I) reader.

--
   Fun-Loving * Tripp Lilley  *  http://stargate.eheart.sg505.net/~tlilley/
   "Technology makes it possible to have our appendices out when they get

  - Neal Stephenson