[self-interest] Problem running Self4.1.2 UI on sparc

Marko Mikulicic marko at seul.org
Thu Oct 12 09:58:40 UTC 2000

Jacel,

Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Marko Mikulicic wrote:
> > After some hours of pain I finally have uploded Demo.snap to a /tmp dir
> > and started Self from that (on a 24-bit display, linux). All ran OK (a
> > bit too slow).
>
> Great!
>
> >  But why can't I rebuild my image using _RunScript.
>
> It seemed like some kind of problem with the scheduler. When you are
> [...]
Wich version of SunOS are you running ?
Does it work for you: 'smallUI2.self' _RunScript
from an empty world ?

> > Does anyone know someone who sells cheap sparc machine in
> > europe (italy.austria,swiss,croatia) ?
>
> I'll have a machine left over after I get Self to run on the PC ;-)
:-)

btw. how are related the performances (roughly) of a sparc old 4 years,
a new sparc today
and a pentium III 450. (and where fits in this scale an ultrastation-2)
?
Is it possible that the self on sparc would be always faster than on PC
because of register stack framing and tagged pointer arithmetic ?
How is the felling running the Self GUI on a clean (sparc) machine,
without other load,
is it smooth?

Are you porting the sunlabs sources to PC ?
Gordon's port was based on the plain 4.0 sources if I remember well.
Does that mean that a new port must be started with the 4.1.2 since
David has inproved the portability framework ?
(or it is already started?)

> > Is the scheduler "platform independent" ?
>
> All it needs is a correct implementation of the "TWAINS" primitive
> (transfer and wait for interrupt or signal). The rest is in Self and
> should be the same on any platform.

Does this TWAINS primitive depend only on the VM (lighweight threads) or
also on the
OS. It is possible that the VM does not work well with a newer version
of SunOS (5.6)?
But this seems strange to me because I have heard that Self implements
lightweight threads
using stack overflow polling at the beginning of every method and that
all is controlled by the VM.

Marko