[self-interest] Problem running Self4.1.2 UI on sparc

Marko Mikulicic marko at seul.org
Wed Oct 11 18:12:35 UTC 2000

Reinaldo Silveira wrote:

> Besides other things, Self 4 for Sparc cannot display 24bit.  We usually
> get
> this problem when we try to remote display and forget this detail... Try
> switch
> to 8 bit first.

Self 4.1.2 supports 24 bit.

After some hours of pain I finally have uploded Demo.snap to a /tmp dir
and started Self from that (on a 24-bit display, linux). All ran OK (a
bit too slow).
 But why can't I rebuild my image using _RunScript.

I found that the problem is the object "prompt" (wich starts the
scheduler, right?).

I saw also strange problems in the Self worlds, can't open the
fileeditor
random clicks on the "radar" results in debugger pop up, outliners
refuse to show the details of the object ( | { 'blabla' a .b } . c | ).
I'll post more detail when I can reproduce the errors,
but it will be hard to do because I've got no nervs to wait 5 secs for
open a menu (dismissing a window takes 10 secs, can I deactivate the
animation?). Does anyone know someone who sells cheap sparc machine in
europe (italy.austria,swiss,croatia) ?

Is the scheduler "platform independent" ?

Marko