Patterns in Self [was Re: delegation (was: prototypical analysis and design) ]

cramakrishnan at acm.org cramakrishnan at acm.org
Thu Nov 30 17:48:45 UTC 2000

Is it just me, or has anyone else experienced semiotic overload
following the recent discussion?  ;)

David Ungar writes:
> I actually did go through all the patterns in the GOF book, in
> preparation for my recent panel.
> In particular, only one of the object-creation patterns seemed legit to me.

What do you think about double dispach?  That's one of the GOF
patterns, right... i can't remember anymore.  I think it is still
relevant in Self, since Self doesn't have multi-methods.

Plus, i noticed that traits bigInt>>+ uses it.  :)

Bharat writes:
> Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Sun computer anymore so I
> can't run Self :-(

Do you have access to a Macintosh?

As far as all this patterns stuff goes, i've always thought Charlie
Parker's comment on music theory is equally applicable to design
patterns: "Learn that stuff, then forget it and just play [hack]".

- sekhar

C. Ramakrishnan        cramakrishnan at acm.org