[self-interest] Self in Java?

Randy Smith Randall.Smith at Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Mar 29 19:50:07 UTC 2000

Anyone care to comment?

From: "Dr. Joerg-Volker Mueller" <jv.mueller at lis.lineas.de>
To: <randall.smith at Sun.COM>
Subject: Self in Java?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:22:25 +0200

Dear Mr. Smith,

we are thinking about implementing a small object-oriented language for
porting our user interface to multiple platforms.

We have a graphical user interface that is generated dynamically out of
metadata information. We would like to offer a GUI for several PDAs which
obviously do not have much memory. So we need a small-footprint language to
send over to the client which constructs the GUI and offers some small input
validation facilities. Its main task is to build and control the user
interface components written in Java.

During my PhD work here at the Technical University of Braunschweig I came
across your work on Self. Fortunately there are still some papers on the
Sunlab Site, but the current implementation you use seems to be either for
the Mac or Sun Solaris. It seems to be written in C/C++?

So my question is: Do you have a (small!) Self interpreter written in Java?
If not: Would it be difficult to write one?

Thank you for helping.

Best regards,
J.-V. Müller

 Dr. Jörg-Volker Müller
 Tel: +49 531 28150-41      mailto:JV.Mueller at lis.lineas.de

 LINEAS Integral Software GmbH
 Theodor-Heuss-Str. 1       D-38122 Braunschweig, Germany
 Tel: +49 531 28150-40      Fax: +49 531 28150-44
 http://www.lineas.de/lis   mailto:info at lis.lineas.de