[self-interest] Java and Self revisited

jason at netgenics.com jason at netgenics.com
Wed Mar 1 19:19:48 UTC 2000

Hi all,

Pardon my revisiting the whole JSelf issues, but I thought this article
might be of interest to some people on this list. The title is "Kawa -
Compiling Dynamic Languages to the Java VM."

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/kawa/papers/Freenix98-html/

>From the summary: "Kawa uses an interpreter only for "simple"
expressions; all non-trivial expressions (such as function definitions)
are compiled into Java bytecodes, which are emitted into an in-memory
byte array. This can be saved for later, or quickly loaded using the
Java ClassLoader.

Kawa is intended to be a framework that supports multiple source
languages. Currently, it only supports Scheme..."

Jason