remote windows (was: doc on self vm)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Jun 29 20:42:51 UTC 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Reinout Heeck wrote:
> The PCs could run an XWindows server, this way you can have a color view
> (of Self running on the sparcs) on the PCs.
>

> Another (free) option could be VNC.
> VNC is relatively popular so if you are lucky it's client might allready
> be installed on the PCs

VNC is lighter than X, but I would have to run multiple versions of the
server in the same machine as Self (if I were to run them on the user's
PCs, I might as well just run X directly) and that might slow things
down.

I considered creating a vncCanvas object a while back. That would allow
the VNC clients to connect directly to Self and would be more efficient
(and would work for the Mac version of Self as well).

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll test VNC to see how it performs.

One idea that I have been studying lately is using MPEG-4 as the
imaging model for Self. This would allow us to have remote viewers like
we do with X Windows now but would perform better with complex
graphics. Is anybody interested in this?