[self-interest] Re: A Self / BETA Language Hybrid Project

Brian T. Rice water at tscnet.com
Wed Jan 12 12:17:33 UTC 2000

At 11:43 AM 1/12/00 +0100, Thomas Kuehne wrote:
>Hello Brian,
>
>I personally think that SLATE has all the right ingredients.
>I would have started from a similar configuration.
>It is not an easy thing to better Smalltalk, though (my opinion).
>
>I'd be inclined to contribute to your project.
>Is it somehow affiliated to a university?
>I could not gather that from the FAQ.
>
>Greetings,
>
>	Thomas
>
>--
>Dr. Thomas Kuehne
>AG Component Engineering, Fachbereich Informatik
>University of Kaiserslautern, Po Box 3049
>67653 Kaiserslautern, +49 631 205 4654
>"The difficulty in doing research is to find the right questions
>   so that all the answers come easily" -TK

Unfortunately, none of the people currently involved have support from
academia, although we have connections who are willing to help somewhat. We
spent a very long time evaluating various schemes for getting the two
language paradigms to work together, and found the simplest method was to
start from the CLOS perspective to a certain point.

Thanks for the interest,
	Brian