[self-interest] benchmarks (was: Sparc 2 with Solaris 2.6)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Jan 5 16:29:07 UTC 2000

David Ungar wrote:
> The only ones I would not trust would be the bytecode-per-second
> ones.
> In Smalltalk and Self, costly primitives, such as BitBLT, or an
> enumeration through
> memory, show up as a single bytecode. You cannot average those
> with pushes and pops.

True - the numbers I had listed are simply the results of dividing 5 million
by the time to run the infamous "sieve benchmark" a certain number of times.
They are only relatively meaningful (to compare two machines) and should not be
taken seriously as an indication of the number of bytecodes that Squeak can
execute per second.

-- Jecel
P.S.: is there anywhere I can download the Mac Self from while self.sunlabs.com
is offline?