[self-interest] Re: self-interest digest

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Feb 19 00:37:31 UTC 2000

eGroups Digest wrote:

> eGroups Daily Digest: self-interest has 2 new messages.
> Click here http://www.eGroups.com/list/self-interest/?start=610 to read them.

> 610. Jecel Assumpcao Jr.       Re: JSelf future
> 611. Jecel Assumpcao Jr.       remote GUI
>
> ------------------------------ message 610 ------------------------------
> http://www.eGroups.com/list/self-interest/?start=610
>
> From: Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com>
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:22:45 -0200
> Subject: [self-interest] Re: JSelf future
>
> Vincent wrote:
> > I recently implemented Morphic (well not exactly, but something very very
> > similar) in Java. I had to use a lot of dirty tricks to get the required
> > performance, although I must admit that with Hotspot (how ironic, that so many
> > ideas came from Self, and yet Self was displaced by Java)  on NT it really
> > flies. I would have grave misgivings about implementing Self on Java. BTW, when
> > you say implementing Self on Java, do you mean Self in Java or Self on top of a
> > Java VM ?
>
> I could be wrong, but I think that the current version of JSelf is an
> interpreter written in Java but that there were plans for a future version that
> would compile Self to the Java VM bytecodes.
>
> -- Jecel
>
> ------------------------------ message 611 ------------------------------
> http://www.eGroups.com/list/self-interest/?start=611
>
> From: Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com>
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:26:27 -0200
> Subject: [self-interest] remote GUI
>
> Vincent wrote:
> > I recently implemented Morphic (well not exactly, but something very very
> > similar) in Java.
>
> That reminds me of something else. I need a way to access Kansas (the Self GUI)
> from across the network. This is not possible for the Mac version, but I will
> be using Sparc so simply installing an X Window server on the client machine
> (confused yet?) would seem to solve my problem. Except this network goes
> through a 33kbps modem so it would be too slow for practical use.
>
> Since VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) is often mentioned as a
> lightweight alternative to X, I was considering implementing a vncWindow
> object. This would allow Kansas to be multiuser on the Mac as well, which is a
> good thing. This problem is that VNC seems to be optimized for high speed
> networks (it transfers compressed bitmaps) and not modems.
>
> An alternative would be to create a remoteCanvas object that would talk to a
> counterpart written in Java (which is where Morphic in Java comes in) and
> running on the client. It should transfer less bytes (send the info that we
> drew a green circle, and not all the bits of the circle) but I am afraid that I
> am just creating X all over again.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these things?
> -- Jecel

> Free e-mail groups by eGroups.com.

------> No: much of the stuff on this group is way above my head. But,
I've read that the Berlin Group (who they?) are about to launch a
windowing equivalent of X11 which should be lighter and faster. After
all, for all its wonders, X11 imposes a pretty heavy memory overhead. It
might be worth finding out more before going out and re-inventing a
wheel for something else. I'd love a self with gui for my Linux box.
(Ideally using GTK!)