[self-interest] Re: JSelf future

vincent.coetzee at rmb.co.za vincent.coetzee at rmb.co.za
Thu Feb 17 08:37:04 UTC 2000

Jecel wrote:

>>I would
>>expect better performance from Self on Smalltalk (which has been done about
>>three times already...)

I recently implemented Morphic (well not exactly, but something very very
similar) in Java. I had to use a lot of dirty tricks to get the required
performance, although I must admit that with Hotspot (how ironic, that so many
ideas came from Self, and yet Self was displaced by Java)  on NT it really
flies. I would have grave misgivings about implementing Self on Java. BTW, when
you say implementing Self on Java, do you mean Self in Java or Self on top of a
Java VM ?

Vincent