Abstract factory was [self-interest] patterns and Self

Albertina Lourenci lourenci at lsi.usp.br
Thu Dec 14 19:31:38 UTC 2000

Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> As promissed, here are some quick comments from a Self programmer's
> viewpoint on the patterns in the "Design Patterns" book by Erich Gamma,
> Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John Vlissides. The numbers in
> parenthesis are the page numbers where each pattern is described.
>
> I hope this helps,
> -- Jecel

Jecel:
I do thank you for your efforts, although I will not be able to examine
all the GOF's D.P. for the time being. It is adding a special flavour
to my reading of Peter Wegner's paper.
But let's examine the Abstract Factory.

I immediately realized   it could be used to achieve portability across
different systenms. Well, indeed GOF states that Et++  (paper  46-57)
OOPSLA 88 uses the Abstract Factory pattern to achieve
portability across different Window Systems (X windows and Sun View)
page 95f in Known uses GOF's book.

So delegation is a powerful abstraction mechanism. There are various
viewpoints on what precisely makes a system "open"
One of the requirements is:
Interoperability. Open systems typically run on heterogeneous
hardware and software platforms. Platform differences should
be encapsulated in the system architecture to ease integration.

There are different versions of Self (???) for Macintosh, Sun,
now for Linux and later for Windows and so on...
Why not to build a  unique software architecture (? framework?)
to cope with this requirement?

What are the difficulties involved? What role  does Abstract Factory
play here? Can delegation alone do the same? I mean is it as
expressive the Abstract Factory pattern?
Hope I have expressed my impressions in correct technical terms.
If not please help me to clarify my reasoning.

Cheers
Albertina

--
| Albertina Lourenci                                       |