[self-interest] partial conclusions about design patterns

Albertina Lourenci lourenci at lsi.usp.br
Mon Dec 4 16:06:20 UTC 2000

David Ungar wrote:

Come on Dave! What's the difference between my statement and your
statement?
In one of Albertina's recent messages, she stated that:

> Jecel and Dave seems to state that all the abstractions

> captured by the design patterns can be implemented perfectly

> well in Self.

 I never intended to say this, nor do I understand how I could have
seemed to say it.Perhaps Albertina was misled by my statement that all
but one of the object creation patterns in GOF were redundant given a
language like Self. - Dave--

By now I think I know quite a lot about Self. For example all
the methods connected with collections are simply not more than
a list in the tutorial.
What you may not understand is that Smalltalk was such a sort
of OO language that I could not read.  I mean I knew nothing
or very little about Smalltalk. When you state things about Self
and you assume knowledge of Smalltalk I translate it as not
explained things. This hinders the understanding of  Self itself.
And many things that
Jecel  designed for me in Self began to seem clear after my readings
about graphical editors, graphical user interfaces and the  careful
reading I have been undergoing  again of the design patterns.

In 1988 I designed a house for a mathematician based on the A pattern
language from Alexander. He got very very enthusiastic about the house.
Even if he was not able to really understand all the sensuousness
of the open space I created.
The problem is that my ecodesign model is for building apartments
and groups of houses, neighborhood and so on. It is much more
encompassing.
I feel attracted by the way Alexander reasons, but my real source of
inspiration is the Finn architect Alvar Aalto who used words very rarely

to explain things. But his work speaks for him. However Alexander
insists on things that make me fly.

I feel when I will start programming  (rather designing)  in Self  by
March I will know
where to start things.  Reading through all the tutorials written by the
Self group
I could only experience how expressive and fit to my needs Self is.
And of course Jecel is able to translate my needs into Self perfectly
fine.
But I do not understand what goes on in Jecel's head. I have to figure
out things by myself. And all these readings are making me  feel
confident.
I know to write a tutorial for applications in architecture in Self
seems to
me as a big hurdle...
Well in 1995 I would never imagine I could develop such a full-fledged
work with symmetry groups of the plane and the dotless plane. Since
Brazilian mathematicians failed I had to do it by myself! And I am
extremely
happy with the outcome.
So by now I feel why not to be successful with Jecel's help and the help

of the rest of the Selfers of this list!

Only after programming in Self for example  the last poster I developed
about the relationships of the subgroups of the crystalographic groups
pmg and pmm I will understand if the stratety pattern is not necessary.

Having heard of the strategy pattern made me happy, because I have
to face here with many unanticipated ways of unfolding the tilings,
I mean the transformation of one subgroup into another.

The geometric pattern changes depending where one begins, by the
full geometric basic lattice, half of it, a quarter of it, and so on.

Now I will start reading another interesting paper.
And I am extremely happy that finally there is a book
about knowledge based systems  that recognizes this
may not be very different from an OO software!!!
I knew this since 1990! KBS's community cared
very little about OO programming.
Anyhow I love Self and the OO community!

Cheers
Albertina

--
| Albertina Lourenci                                       |