[self-interest] Patterns in Self [was Re: delegation (was: prototypical analysis and design) ]

Toby Everett tua at everettak.org
Sat Dec 2 07:28:57 UTC 2000

> using Unix since 1975 and I'm sure someone could do a much better
> operating system based on different fundamentals than
> byte-stream files, containment-hierarchy directory trees, and C. Not
Sing it, brother.  Why are we so wedded to the concept of location for
organizing data, rather than simply allowing multiple, arbitrary organization
schemes to be superimposed as needed on an otherwise unorganized sea.

It never ceases to amaze me how much we, when confronted with the most
free-form system for expression ever known to humankind, continue to allow our
inherited mental straightjackets to limit and confine the direction and
expansion of our thoughts.

--Toby Everett