partial conclusions about design patterns

Albertina Lourenci lourenci at lsi.usp.br
Fri Dec 1 17:31:55 UTC 2000

Hi Selfers:

                I found a very interesting paper about design patterns
entitled Giving the Quality a Name JOOP june 1998 from Amnon H.Eden.
                The following quoted passage tunes with my general
impressions
about the subject.
                A "quality without a name"?

"In contrast to the search for a precise specification language,

trends within the patterns community do not see favorably the

attempts to subject design patterns to scientific analysis.

This school of thought holds a reactionary view of patterns

that adheres to the pattern concept as originally conceived

by Alexander. According to this view, a pattern is an idea, an

element of a language, and a quasi-corporeal concept whose

essence is intangible, elusive, and hence beyond the scope of

a literal expression.  A "good" pattern departs from mere

microarchitectural prescription by some immaterial quality

that cannot be explicitly expresse, a "quality without a name"

and therefore cannot be interpreted outside its context or

taken apart. Therefore, going meta, as the reflexive treatmeent

of design patterns that follow the analytic traditions's

course of action is connoted, is meaningless.

Others do not treat patterns as sacred cows (like me). The

rational school considers the actual and potential contribution

of design patterns too valuable for them to be referred to

as heavenly bodies. Much benefit can be gained from an analytic

approach, namely, by "dissecting" the proposed solutions and

reducing them to building blocks of higher resolution. thereby

allowing systematic reconstruction of new design patterns,

formal treatment of their relationships, and tools that support

their application."

.  He sees an interesting

paper like the one by Bosch that attempted a more precise means

of design pattern specification, such as dedicated programming

languages or extensions to existing OOP languages or by mandating

constrainsts on their implementation as an  attempt

to capture the abstractions behind

all possible conforming implementations.

Amnon distinguishes these underlying abstractions of the

solutions from the remaining designations of the term

design patterns and call them lattices.

He creates a language called LePUS which is a small subset

of higher order monadic logic with natural graphic representation,

which abstracts singular specifications as atomic relations

and entities in a logic model ...and so on (page 11)

Günther Kniesel tries to identify meta patterns and identifies

delegation as the best generic mechanism to implement some

of the patterns.

Jecel and Dave seems to state  that all the abstractions

captured by the design patterns can be implemented perfectly

well in Self.

As a model designer, no expert will deny that my ecodesign

models all aspects in the act of designing architectural

objects and the relationship with the environment hence

implying in urban design and further urban and regional

planning.

Moreover I had to translate this into a geometric modeling.

I did this through the symmetry groups of the plane and

the dotless planes + tilings + the subgroup relationships

 among crystallographic groups and so on.The variant of

the tiling is due to the contribution of the graphic artist

Maurits C.Escher. Indeed to deal with the symmetry groups

the way I did is all based on Escher's imagery.

Earlier PhD in mathematics stated they were pure phantasies.

Now thanks to the yugoslavian mathematician Jablan not

only can I classify all Escher's "phanatasies" but also

Jablan made me aware primitive people ten thousand years

before Christ knew all these symmetry groups!!!!!!!!

I am an artist and I follow a scientific approach to my

research!

Computer scientists say they are scientists and are

obviously behaving as if they were artists of a certain

trend...I mean, abstract art gave origin to several

paintings belonging to different artists.

We find in the literature many methods, many abstraction

mechanisms, too many things and the poor person from

the applied areas, interested like me to save Mother

Earth from collapse finds huge hurdles to implement

a serious research that will increase dramatically

the quality of life on earth.

Indeed I think Self is the language that tunes with

the hermeneutic nature of my ecodesign model. It has

an advanced user interface. An architect does nothing

with words, only with forms!!!!!It has Kansas, It is

becoming portable to many platforms even PC!

And I cannot implement my ecodesign model if an

expressive language like Self is not available.

I am awaiting this porting to PC!!

Since the most powerful related work to my ecodesign

model is Alexander's A pattern language, and I was

going to work under his advising to exchange ideas

(1990-1992)  it is quite natural I feel inclined

to scientifically examine his proposals and

the GOF patterns. When I ask for help, it is because

 I have to persuade computer scientists that

Self is an intelligent option.

I think comnputer scientists should be aware

of everything that is going on in the world and

know what is more evolved.

Of course since they behave rather like artists

they have very little discernment. Who loses?

Mankind of course!!!

Albertina

.----------------------------------------------------------.
| Albertina Lourenci                                       |
| PhD  in Architecture and Urbanism                        |
| post-doctorate researcher                                |
| Laboratory of Integrated Systems University of Sao Paulo |
| Avenida Professor Luciano Gualberto, 158 Travessa 3      |
| CEP: 05508-900                                           |
| Sao Paulo Sao Paulo State Brazil                         |
| Voice: +55 011 818 5254                                  |
| Fax: +55 11 211 4574                                     |