[self-interest] premature announcement: SELFISH

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Aug 25 20:07:14 UTC 2000

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Tripp Lilley wrote:

> and so forth :) Mostly, I wanted to do a little interest-guaging, and so
> forth. I've already had one person suggest throwing my effort into the
> Linux port of Self itself, and I'll be putting my response into the FAQ
> when I create it. Basically, I started these projects long before there
> was a Linux port even being contemplated (aside, perhaps, from Jecel's
> work on Merlin). Furthermore, I still believe there's value in bringing
> "The Power of Simplicity(tm)" to the unwashed languages :)

This is a great idea - you should put your efforts into a project you
feel strongly about. I have said before that in the first half of the
1990s a lot of different groups "wasted" their time trying to do their
own Self-like language instead of working on the real thing. But if
that is what they were interested in doing, they were more likely to
get results than if they had listened to my opinion.

Yes, a Linux port of Self would be great. But so is spreading prototype
based programming to other languages. There is enough work for
everybody. A few years ago there were at least two efforts to add
delegation to Squeak, for example.

Good luck,