[self-interest] Re: Hardware for Self

Douglas Atique datique at zaz.com.br
Thu Sep 16 02:09:44 UTC 1999

Hello, Jerry.
Let's see if I can help. I have the same problem as you, I want to run Self but I don't have and can't afford a SPARC by myself. As many people here, I have thought about porting Self myself. It is very difficult though, so let's go back to the SPARC. I think there
is some specification about what machine to use in the Self home page (can someone point this more exactly, please?). It's something about 48MB RAM and a GX video card... well, you will be able to find it somewhere. About the X servers, I would recommend Linux
boxes, as I have found only one free X server for Windows, and it is not very good.
I have considered buying an UltraSPARC 10 with PCI and IDE controllers, no SCSI at all, and it costs in Brazil no less than US$12,000!!! Not bad, huh? So I wish you luck, but I hope someone can find a cheaper way before long...
Regards,
Douglas