[self-interest] Self Syntax Question

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at netsurf.de
Tue Oct 5 20:18:32 UTC 1999

Hi!

I wonder whether the following describes correct Self syntax or not.  I
also wonder whether one would like to use it or not. First, some definitions:

This shall be a method definition

(|
foo = (bar).
 |)

This shall be a constant definition, where "bar" is evaluated in the
context of the "lobby" object.

(|
foo = bar.
 |)

Obviously, when looking at the message "foo", you cannot distinguish
whether it's a method call or a constant slot access.

My question is, does this work only for unary message selectors or also for
binary and keyword selectors?  Or in other words, are these legal expressions?

(|
= whatever = false.
ifTrue: aBlock = nil.
 |)

My current SELF implementation requires a method object here, but
especially for blocks etc., constant keyword slots would be handy, I think.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.