[self-interest] Self on Windows

Gordon Cichon gordon at cichon.de
Fri Nov 19 11:14:00 UTC 1999

Hi all,

since I see, there is a strong demand for Self actually running
on Windows somehow, and I see that my concerns about diversifying
Self too much are not shared in this group, I would like to
contribute something which I did some years ago and I did not feel
worth publishing it so far because it is not really good. It
runs on Windows though.

It is a really ugly and hardly functional implementation of Self
in 16bit Smalltalk/V for Windows 2.0. It runs on Windows 3.0, 3.1,
and propably (hopfully) on Windows 95, 98 and NT, and has a very
basic GUI. I wish to apologize to the guy who does MySelf that I
used also the code name mySelf for this project which show up on
the splash screen and maybe somewhere inside the code. This was at
a time where I did not know about the MySelf project, and I am
not tied to this name at all.

When I tried to do something with it, I noticed how crutial a good
GUI actually is in a language which gives you so much freedom as
Self and Smalltalk.

You can get that at

http://www.cichon.de/self

where I put a small archive self4stvwin in the download seciton.

Have fun with it!

Gordon.