[self-interest] Re: The Effort on Self

Gordon Cichon gordon at cichon.de
Fri Nov 19 08:13:45 UTC 1999

Well, simply regard bytecodes as a compressed representation
of a syntax tree, and there you have it.

Nevertheless, I think you made a valid point in the sense
that for experimenting with the language features it would
be more appropriate to have a say "expanded" representation
which can be changed more handily.

In some sense, I think if we had a well done SIC written in
Self and operating on an abstract syntax tree, and this
Compiler would compile itself, it should end up representing
this thing as bytecodes internally. (David, how do you like
this idea? Jecel, how do you?)

Gordon.

PS: BTW, what does "OTOH" and "AFAICT" mean?