[self-interest] Re: squeakifying?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Fri Nov 19 00:33:28 UTC 1999

>>The time of autism is over and it won't come back.

I agree.

But there's a small change for another way: embrace and extend.

Perhaps somebody knows Staroffice (from StarDivison, a German software
company recently aquired by Sun)?  They've a desktop which best runs
fullscreen on your computer that contains everything.  Now, it doesn't try
to reinvent everything but actually copies and imitates the Windows start
menu and the taskbar and integrates existing applications seemlessly into
their desktop.

Quite a big amount of work - but at least, I'm sure some people like it or
otherwise they didn't have done it.  And you can always go back to normal,
MS Office compatible MDI applications.

I know there're quite a few Windows shell replacement projects out there
where people try to imitiate the freedom of choice you got on X with
different window managers.   LiteStep, one of the most popular
replacements, I believe, also has a scripting language.  This could, of
course, also be Self, couldn't it?

But then, there's the problem, integrating with your host opration system
normally works against platform independence.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.