[self-interest] Re: The Effort on Self

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Fri Nov 19 00:10:33 UTC 1999

Great points, Gordon, and a good reply by jose.  I've also a great respect
for Gordon's attempt.  When I first heard about it, I was thinking "great,
there's somebody who doesn't know how difficult this is but simply tries
it.  Hey, he might be even successful." ;-)   Honestly, most people -
including me - never thought about doing this because they thought - even
thought to believe it - that's way to difficult.

But the main question to answer is

>> What is our vision on Self?

And we've carefully do distinguish the

 * language - that Smalltalk-style, round and square bracket thing
 * semantics - prototype based, slot accessing, dynamic inheritance
 * environment - kansas gui, outliners, morphic

because I'm sure different people understand different things when they
talk about Self.

>> Can we do it together?

Hopefully.

>	In my opinion, a minoritary language like Self should be developed
>in a platform like Java VM. I am not a Java fan, but it provides a virtual
>machine in a variety of platforms, and also a "standard" graphical
>environment.

Again, the question must be: what's the goal.  To bring Self-the language
to a broader audience, this is a good way.  If the goal is, to use Self-the
semantics to script existing classes, this a good way.  But if you want to
use Self-the environment, I'm not sure anymore.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.