[self-interest] Re: The Effort on Self

José Baltasar García Perez-Schofield jbgarcia at uvigo.es
Thu Nov 18 11:25:42 UTC 1999

> I would like to suggest that we should get a more precisely
> defined focus on what our effort with Self is heading to.
>
> I would like to publicly ask the following question:
>
> What is our vision on Self?
>
> And:
>
> Can we do it together?

	I totally agree with you. I did get very surprised when I knew you
was porting Self to Linux ALONE !!!

	What a job ! :-O

	I don't feel capable to understand the total porting effort done
at this time and join you, as I don't know sufficient about Self
bytecodes,
architecture ... and so on, to be useful in a project like this.

	What would we do ? Perhaps we could start doing questions like
Gordon proposed. What is Self for ? What's his future ?

	In my opinion, a minoritary language like Self should be developed
in a platform like Java VM. I am not a Java fan, but it provides a virtual
machine in a variety of platforms, and also a "standard" graphical
environment. This would allow to get Self expansioned, I think.
	Maybe, this is a bad idea because it would run too slowly, and
would become unusable (UI is now pretty slow, even in a UltraSparc).

	Ok, I don't know.

	But one thing I am sure of is that the joining of efforts and
defining a few objectives are
good ideas.

	Salud !

		jose