[self-interest] Implementation

Douglas Atique datique at alcatel.com.br
Wed Jun 16 11:27:46 UTC 1999

Hello, all. (BTW, I have noticed the list is rather quiet lately.)
Here is a little question about the VM.
We know there are three kinds of sends: unary, binary and keyword. I
have been looking at the runtime part of the VM code and found out about
an assembly routine named
oop CallSelf(nmethod method, oop receiver, oop arg)
which seems to me the part of code that really evaluates a send with
compiled native methods, returning an oop. As you might have noticed,
this function takes only one argument. In my opinion, to the send. My
question is: how can the VM evaluate binary and keyword sends if it can
give CallSelf only 1 argument?
I hope not to be too simplistic, but I am not very fluent in SPARC
assembly and didn't understand much of the code. It also seems that all
this is mixed in intricate ways with the Self threading system.
Regards,
Douglas

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/self-interest