[self-interest] Re: data structures

David Ungar David.Ungar at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Jun 11 17:59:26 UTC 1999

Let me try two ways to see this:

1. Objects are supposed to be things that have behavior appropriate
to their context.
     But nil has no behavior--you are reduced to asking for its identity.
     Nil is used for at least two cases: a container is uninitialized,
or an optional bit
     of information is absent. In an object-oriented system (IMHO) one
would just send messages
     to the object and it would do the right thing. So it is better to
use more specific objects instead of nil.

2. When moving from functional to object-oriented programming, we see
if statements
     being replaced by polymorphic message passing. The right thing
happens because
     the receiver finds the right behavior. But programming with nil
invariably involves
     statements like "if (x == NULL)".

Hope this helps,

- Dave