[self-interest] Re: No Subject

Reinaldo Silveira-local silveira at lsi.usp.br
Tue Jun 8 12:40:48 UTC 1999

"Jose' B. Garcia Perez-Schofield" wrote:

> > I'll try to help.
> >
>         Thank yo for your help.
>
> > OK! What Jecel means is that ANY object that have a name, can give a name to
> > an unnamed object. (sorry about my english...:.P)
> >

>         OK ! After doing the complete BankAccount example, now these things
> are more clear for me. But I still can't understand why the fact of
> giving a name to an object is so complex....

I don't know!  :.(

> > Voilá, the name is given... You unnamed object will be renamed to 'shell
> > myCard'.
> >

>         Yes, but... it depends on the existence of Shell.... and, if it
> is not registered into the globals, no messages can be sent to him.

I don't think so! any object can receive messages, even the unnamed ones.
It's' enough the object be referred by the one who wants to send the message to
it,
for example having an slot pointing to it. (sorry it's' my english again :.)), I
mean
The object who wants to send a message should have an slot pointing to the
unnamed
object. This way you can send messages without problems...

For example, the objects of the parser "mango" have no name. See in
globals-applications.

> > IMPORTANT: Be careful on what object you are using in this on your
> > experiments.
> > I took a system object (shell), so I don't recommend saving this image after
> > all...
>
>         Ok !.
>
> > >         I think it is not trivial. Why not an slot added automatically
> > > to any object, with the default contents ' an object ', which
> > > should be editable ?
> > >

> > I didn't understand the question!
>
>         Probably because of my english.
>
>         Ok. I think that all objects must have a name (*). The only way to
> give a name to an object in Self is creating a 'creator method' in other
> object (globals or traits, as I learn yesterday, if you want to send
> messages to this object).
>
>         But why you have to do all this work ?
>
>         Why not a slot 'name' into the object, created automatically with
> him ?   - with, if you want, the contents of "an object" by default -.
>
>         I can't understand why the name of an object is linked with the
> visibility of him.

Well Jose, i am a beginner too. Some things belong to the "philosophy field of
implementation". I guess it's because of the searching in the object tree,
if you want the object be available all over the world you must put it in
an accessible way in the searching path. Just like Smalltalk, a class or global
variable must be in the Smalltalk dictionary, the difference is that it's
automatically
made when you create the class. <<Someone correct me if i'm wrong...>>.

May be someone else could help us in this field!

>         Salud !
>
>                 jose
>
> (*) At lest they have an OID (object identification), although they are
> named as 'an opbject'.

Reinaldo

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/self-interest