[self-interest] Re: web site and CD-ROMs

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at netsurf.de
Fri Jun 4 14:56:04 UTC 1999

At 05:32 PM 5/31/99 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

>Another example: a list of members. You can give people a blank
>page and they can type whatever they like about themselves. Or you
>can give them a form with spaces for their name, email, home page,
>hobbies, and so on. You will have to think a lot less to give out
>the basic data in this second system, and you can still have a
>field at the bottom where people can type whatever they like.

Actually, I think the best way would be if you could also create your own
custom templates for this kind of forms.  Otherwise I agree that the less
choices people have, the better will be the result.

>I know that anything on a web site
>is public already, but I like to avoid hurt feelings are much as
>I try to avoid lawsuits.

It's public available not to for the public to copy.  This is what copy
right really means - the exclusive right to duplicate the work (and to make
money from that).  Think about books.  They're public available (you don't
need to sign a contract or an NDA for most book ;-) but you're not allowed
to reproduce them.

So people must agree that you (and possible other) have the right to copy
their work.

PS: did you checked out already the communities of deja.com which seems to
be more than just a discussion board but also include tools for
collaborative work like a chat tool, a drawing board, a way to work on
shared web pages and so on.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust // Truth Until Paradox!

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/self-interest