[self-interest] license (was: Self on Linux)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at lsi.usp.br
Tue Jan 19 15:25:51 UTC 1999

Dru Nelson wrote:

> > Since the Self license allows modification and redistribution of
> > the Self code (please correct me if I´m wrong), I intend to put
> > the stuff under GPL.
> >

> I urge you to go to www.opensource.com and check out the other
> licenses besides the GPL.

Good advice.

I had a discussion with a friend who is really interested in Open
Source code and he said that I couldn't release a product based on
Self under the GPL. I am not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV ;-)
but I think that the Self license is less restrictive than the GPL
(it is rather similar to the BSD license) so that it allows anything
(as long as the credits and disclaimers are maintained) including
adding the restrictions of the GPL. The opposite would not be true -
a GPL code could not be re-released under a Self-like license.

Am I right?