[self-interest] Re: Self on Windows

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at lsi.usp.br
Wed Feb 24 14:59:42 UTC 1999

cwardell at skila.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is their current any implementation of Self for the Wintel environment?
> I have been looking for quite a bit and have not come up with anything.
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie

There are two plans for it, but no timetables yet. Douglas Atique
has been studying the Self 4 virtual machine sources for the past
few months with the intention of porting them to Windows. It would
be easier to first port Self to some Unix on the PC (so only the
compilers need to be changed, not the OS and graphics primitives)
and then port that to Win32. Gordon Cichon has done most of the
work for the first part and has made available a partially working
Self for Linux:

  http://www.cichon.de/self/

The second project is my own tinySelf. It isn't finished yet and
currently only runs on top of Self 4 (and so needs a Sparcstation).
When it is done, it will be ported to the PC. The first port will
be to Linux, then to the bare hardware and finally to the Win32
platform as well.

  http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/tiny.html

Finally, while it won't be specific to the Wintel architecture, you
might be able to use the JSelf implementation:

  http://www.ConsultAr.com/JSelf