[self-interest] Re: Self on Linux

datique at pcs.usp.br datique at pcs.usp.br
Wed Feb 3 11:17:04 UTC 1999

 <9902021301.aa192861- at ix> wrote:
> I see and agree that just getting it running on an Intel Unix would
> be a good start.
When I first thought of having Self run on an Intel platform, I thought of Windows, which was the system I had then. Then, I noticed that it would be too much work at once to bring all the Unix facilities to Windows (I tried the excellent Cygwin32 and mingw32 ports of gcc, but that was not enough). Then I thought of having Self on SCO OpenServer, of which I had a noncommercial copy. As things were not easy, I cut all down to the smallest step I could think of. And that was Solaris x86.
It looks like Gordon has solved the biggest problems of the port on Linux, but now I have spent the last six months studying the inner workings of the Self system and I think it's not time to stop. I always wanted to learn how such a great system works. And who knows what else can be achieved when more people try different solutions to the same problem...
Congratulations to Gordon, and good luck to his future work.
Douglas