[self-interest] Re: Self on Linux

Gordon Cichon Gordon at Cichon.de
Tue Feb 2 19:38:52 UTC 1999

Steve Dekorte wrote:
> Is the Self on Linux project code being written to be portable to
> other Unixes like FreeBSD and NeXTstep/MacOSX?

It should also run on FreeBSD using glibc. Nextstep, I don't know.
I don't see any fundamental obstackles besides the processor.

> Squeak did a decent job of providing portable APIs, maybe the same
> could be done with Self.

Yes, it could. The current Self system was aimed to run very
comfortably on one specific platform (i.e. Sun) with all the
features it provides. There are also several applications
written in Self, f.e. the user interface, the parser generator,
the web server, etc. that directly rely on services like Xlib
and sockets. The system does not encapsulate the OS in the way
Smalltalk systems usually do.

I just would like to do something reasonable. Rewriting a complete
Self system from scratch is a lot of work. Switching the code generator
from Sparc to i386 seems to me a more manageable task. The system
contains more than 5 times as much self code as C. And the most
complex part, the memory system does not have to be changed.

-gordon

Gordon Cichon          email: Gordon at Cichon.de