[self-interest] Re: Compiler Links

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Dec 17 21:31:27 UTC 1999

I was able to see the Varsity Books site with Internet Explorer 5. The KDE File
Manager and HotJava kept showing the main page, no matter what you clicked. And
Dave's Browser in Self only showed a blank page (I didn't really expect
otherwise).

> Compilers : Principles, Techniques, and Tools
> by: Aho, Alfred V. / Sethi, Ravi / Ullman, Jeffrey D.

This is the "dragon book" that I remembered. It is a very good book, but I am
not sure the part about code generation is still relevant in this era of VLIW
and Superscalar processors.

> Crafting a Compiler With C
> by: Fischer, Charles N. / Leblanc, Richard J. Jr.

It seems like a good choice.

> I see that you can find them at Amazon.com, also.

I found a very interesting list by searching for "compiler" at both Amazon (162
books) an Varsity (35 books). Some advanced ones that might be good are:

   Modern Compiler Implementation in C
   Andrew W. Appel, Maia Ginsburg

Appel also has "Modern Compiler Implementation in Java" and "Modern Compiler
Implementation in ML".

   Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation
   Steven S. Muchnick

> Are you presently in
> Brazil? I'm not sure if they ship there or not, though. :-(

I have bought several books from them and they arrived ok. Recently, though, I
have been doing most of my reading online. At an introductory level, I can
recomend Paul Wilson's Scheme interpreter/compiler text:

     ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/cs345/schintro-v14/schintro_toc.html

I am not sure any of these texts or books would be enough for you to make sense
of the Self compilers, however. As always, the state of the art can only be
found in PhD thesis (or reading the source :-)

Cheers,