[self-interest] Re: desnarfing tinySelf

Jose' B. Garcia Perez-Schofield jgarcia at ancares.ei.uvigo.es
Tue Apr 20 15:57:03 UTC 1999

> So the first step is to get all this (except for the reflectiveVM)
> running in Self 4.0. A host object containing the X86 cpuDescription
> and the POSIX platformDescription must be created and the emulator
> is started up. The compiler, running in Self 4, gets to work on
> the umbilical object and the resulting X86 code is used to "boot"
> the emulator. Then the compiler generates code for the reflectiveVM
> and the compiler itself and sends it over the umbilical to the
> tinySelf 2 running inside the emulator. At some point this tinySelf
> is complete enough that saving a snapshot should result in a file
> that can actually run by itself on an Intel Linux machine!

	Excuseme, but this image file contains an executable Self for the
arquitecture contained into X86 cpuDescription, or a self program ?
I have not understand it totally.

> It is interesting to compare this with the Squeak approach. They need
> an external system (the C compiler) to avoid having to deal with
> different CPUs. The problem is that this external system is only
> available when generating an new VM, not at runtime like the compiler
> described here. They moved most platform stuff into "black boxes" -
> some hand written C files. In contrast, the system I proposed is
> totally self contained (like many Forths) and takes full advantage
> of the power of Self (like multiple inheritance, polymorphism...).

	And what about the performance ?

	A compiler running on top of Self 4.0 will not be precisely a
sprinter ;-).

	Sun Self have strong processor and memory requierements; it not
runs in every machine.

	Jose