[self-interest] Re: JSelf Home Page

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Wed Nov 4 18:56:41 UTC 1998

>Once again, I'd like to say that this is a very worthwhile effort
>and it will be very important to be able to run Self code inside
>a web browser without having to load a huge plug-in.

Doesn't Java count as Java a "huge plug-in"? :-)

I know Netscape is moving it to the plug-in side, at least.
And Java is certainly huge in size and complexity.

I don't see how mapping Self like language to Java byte codes
is possible, but even if it where, wouldn't it be better to
write a small, fast VM and stick it inside an Active-X control
for Netscape and a COM object for IE?

Steve