Solaris 2.5 x86?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at lsi.usp.br
Fri May 31 19:03:06 UTC 1996

Evan Cheng wrote:

> Given that Self can be compiled and run on Solaris 2.4, I wonder
> if it is may also compile and run on Solaris 2.5 Intel edition.

Just recompiling wouldn't help. You would have to look at
all the files in the "asm", "nic" and "fast_compiler"
directories and adapt them to generate 386 code instead
of Sparc code. There is some "leftover" code that generates
68000 instructions - this could be a good indication of
what you have to do.

> Has this been attempted?

Several people have talked about this (actually, a port to
Linux, but then a port to Solaris Intel would be trivial),
but no one is doing it as far as I know.

> Also, is the source code being distributed
> for academic use?

The license that comes with the source code (you can
download the sources from http://self.sunlabs.com) says
you can do anything you want with it (even commercial
use) as long as you give credit to the origianl developers.

-- Jecel Mattos de Assumpcao Jr
   Laboratorio de Sistemas Integraveis
   University of Sao Paulo - Brazil
   mailto:jecel at lsi.usp.br