Solaris 2.5 x86?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at lsi.usp.br
Mon Jun 3 03:47:20 UTC 1996

> Hum, did you gave up for tinySelf ?

No, I am still working on it. It is taking me more
than the few days I promised on my web page, but
it is comming.

> J.C. Mincke seems to be on the right
> way for his implementation. VCODE seems to be the right tool to attempt
> this implementation, but the x86 version is not yet ready.

That's great! The more implementations there are of
the language, the stronger it is (as long as they can
run the same programs).

> But the result won't be like Self 4.0.

Which is why I said that a port of Self 4.0 to other machines
would be very interesting even if we have other implementations
on these machines.

> I believe that very few Linux
> machines will have enough memory to run a direct port of Self 4.0. (I
> can't even find a Sparc usable for it :-()

True, but you can get 32MB of RAM for 600 dollars in Brazil -
I imagine it is even cheaper in other places. That is a lot,
but you can easily pay more than that for a C++ compiler. If
you just want to try Self out to see what it is like, then
this isn't practical. But for serious use I think a Linux
port would be great.