Problems running with Sun's graphics cards?

Randy Smith Randall.Smith at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Apr 19 17:36:01 UTC 1996

I don't understand all of the errors below, but the Xerror: problem (the
most serious looking of those you encountered) might be Self's
assumption of an 8-bit deep window.

If you can start your X window server with an 8-bit default, it might
fix at least some of your problem. (8 is now the default depth at least
within Sun, even though there ae many 24 bit deep displays in use. Many
Sun applications apparently made the same goofy assumptiuon we did in
Self!)

For example, openwindows can be started with an option to set the
display depth (see the Xsun man page, about the defdepth option.)

Sorry I have been out for a week, unable to reply until today...

Good luck,

	--Randy