undo

Jecel Mattos de Assumpcao Jr. jecel at lsi.usp.br
Wed Sep 13 02:52:07 UTC 1995

On Fri, 8 Sep 1995 13:17:23 +0200
rainer at physik3.gwdg.de (Rainer Blome) wrote:
> Jecel wrote:
>
> > You would have to add automatic "transactions" to the user interface, ...
>
> I agree with what has been said about accept/cancel and find them to be an
> edge that needs rounding, at least graphically.  Just label them Cancel' for a start.  They do represent elements of a transaction, which
> we want.  But their current use is batch-oriented and therefore nonconcrete
> ("counterfactual") and too coarse-grained.

I don't think that an "OK" button would be a good idea. As Peter Deutsch
said, the "accept" needs to be very lightweight. If you have to click
"ok" all the time, you will end up doing it before you realise it was
not what you wanted, making it useless.

The userQueryMorph seems to be a very good representation for long
term ( over a second ) "transactions", so if they had a "cancel"
button and weren't so easy to overlook they would do just fine.
Looking at the code, though, I can see that the "cancel" button
would be hard to do.

For short transactions, nothing but a good UNDO will save you.