Self X demo

Mario Wolczko Mario.Wolczko at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Oct 26 00:46:12 UTC 1995

Thanks for the comments, Mark.  We've hearing of very mixed
experiences, usually correlated to network delays.  Yours has been the
most positive.  So far I get the feeling that nobody outside of N
America is going to get acceptable response times, but I hope I am
wrong.

A couple of points I'd like to address:

   > It was quite usable, though a bit sluggish,
   > especially the first time any particular menu came up.  Are you cacheing
   > these in the X server or am I seeing the compile delay?

The snapshot already has object code for menu-drawing -- my guess is
that the delay is due to your X server constructing an appropriate
font.

In general we're seeing quite a lot of font problems (unavailable
fonts resulting in font substitutions).  The group here uses Self in a
very uniform environment (Solaris/OpenWindows), so it's no surprise
that using it on a wide variety of X servers is causing trouble.

   > * I couldn't get the web browser to work - some error about unable to reach
   > the host in the URL I gave it.  Since it was a machine on the same subnet I
   > was running the demo on, and URL into our public web server, this is
   > probably a firewall/filter problem on your end.

Could you send me the URL?

I'd encourage anyone who tries using the Self server to mail me,
Randy, the Self group (self at self.sunlabs.com) or this list with a
brief report of their experience, and any comments or suggestions.

-Mario