undo (was: wish list)

Jecel Mattos de Assumpcao Jr. jecel at lsi.usp.br
Wed Nov 1 17:33:10 UTC 1995

[ David Bruce wrote a lot of neat things about versioning ]

Thanks for finding the Wilson&Moher reference - I just found a reference
in another paper:

  "Demonic memory for process histories"
  Wilson, Paul R. and Moher, Thomas G.
  Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN 89 Conference on Programming
    Language Design and Implementation
  Portland, Oregon, June 21-23, 1989, pp.330-343

I'll look into the other references you mentioned.

I have thought a little more about this subject - a system that would
only let you back up the whole world to some point in the past (it
might even make this past read-only) would be enough for what I want
as long as you could use the transporter (or something like it) to
bring a clone of selected objects into the present! This wouldn't
help your simulator at all, of course, since you aren't interested
in a mostly linear time but in a "branching" time.

Anyway, for my application the past must be stored in a highly
compressed form. Having the last N versions of objects hanging
around would increase memory requirements - hardly what Self needs
to be more popular :-)