garbage collection

Ivan Moore ivan at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu May 19 12:54:08 UTC 1994

Hello,

I've been writing some Self, and my image has been growing larger and larger.
Having transported virtually everything out, and filed it in to a fresh image
it appears that I have a huge amount of garbage in my old image.
To give you some figures - the fresh image with everything filed-in is about
7M, but the old image is about 11M.

How does something qualify for garbage collection? I had assumed that if it
couldn't be reached from the lobby it would be garbage collected.

Do you have any suggestions about what I might be doing to create uncollectable
garbage, how to avoid creating such stuff and how to get it collected?

Ivan.