Portability of Self?

jrc at concurrent.co.uk jrc at concurrent.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 17:53:01 UTC 1992

The only system I have easy access to which can run Self is a rather
elderly, narrow-minded Sun 3/160.  I have access to some of our own
wonderful products which have several of either Motorola 68040 or Mips
R3000 processors and a more reasonable amount of memory.

Reading through the README file on self.stanford.edu and some items
from the mailing list it seems that the next release may include "a
humongous pile (50k lines +) of poorly documented C++, implementing
the Self virtual machine".

Can those in the know give some indication of the feasibility or
effort involved in producing a working Self for non-Sun systems?  Are
there any plans to reduce the dependence of Self on Sun specific
features?
--
John Connett ___________
            / _________/_   |   DOMAIN:     jrc at concurrent.co.uk
           /_/________/ /   |   UUCP:       ...!uunet!uknet!concurrent!jrc
  Concurrent/__________/    |   Royal Mail: 227 Bath Road
Computer Corporation        |               Slough SL1 4AX, England