Porting Self

Dirk Steinberg H tenhagen steinber at sun7.ert.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Aug 19 15:45:17 UTC 1992

What exactly does the virtual machine? Is it capable of executing some
intermediate code that the parser generates? Then it would be fairly easy
to al least get up a running system without native code compiler. That
would be a good starting point for a port. I have ported (well compiled :-))
the oaklisp virtual machine and that was really easy. No native code though.

Still my question: where is the native code compiler: in the VM or in the
Self code?

Another question: The performance figures for PPS Smalltalk: what version
did you use? 4.1? If not, are the newer systems from PPS faster?

Thanks,
	Dirk